Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Green Bean Casserole

Today I'm making a green bean casserole, because I found four pounds of lovely fresh green beans for .59 a pound yesterday. Last night I made a batch of beans (parboiled then briefly sauteed in brown butter) and tonight it's this casserole. I'm serving it with chicken, rice pilaf, carrots and a pumpkin cake.

This is Alton Brown's recipe, which I modified a little...I used water instead of chicken broth, more green beans, more mushrooms, but everything else is about the same. Here's a link to his recipe:
Alton's Brown's Green Bean Casserole.

Just a word about the nutmeg you can see a couple of pictures below. I really enjoy using fresh nutmeg. It keeps a long time and is easily grated with a micro-plane grater. Fresh nutmeg makes a real difference in some of the dishes I make, like sausage gravy, white sauces, and any dish that calls for "warm" spices (pumpkin pie, etc.). Some other examples of warm spices are cardamom, clove, ginger, and cinnamon.

Here's an overview of the casserole recipe. Toss thinly sliced onions with panko bread crumbs and flour and bake at a very high temperature for half an hour, stirring often. Meanwhile parboil the green beans (which I did yesterday) and make the mushroom cream sauce. Toss the beans and sauce with some of the onions, place the other onions on top and bake until bubbly. Enjoy!















No comments:

Post a Comment